Thursday, July 14, 2011

Unhappy Reunion

Finally, our turn had come. Although we were the front row of the family section, we were the last ones to get a turn. The man directed me to go first since I was sitting on the end. I thought, "I'm going to go look at Pop in a casket now." I had no idea as I was walking toward him for the last time how the sight of him was going to affect me. I wondered if I would cry or smile. I wondered if he'd look strange or familiar.

I had just laughed with him a few months ago. So even though his aged face had some make-up on it, it wasn't a surprise to see. However, when my gaze fell upon his enormous hands folded across his stout mid-line, I was flooded. Those strong hands that held me as a baby and hugged me as an adult so many times and times between struck me so powerfully. So, I reached out and touched him. I laid my hand on top of his refrigerated hands. Even though they were so cold, they still felt like Pop. And as soon as I touched him I felt like a soaked wash rag that some one was wringing out with all their might. My stomach felt wrung. My chest felt tight. My head felt like a fishbowl. And I cried and cried.

Aaron was right behind me in line and laid his hand atop mine. Then Tyrone laid his hand on top of Aaron's. Then Alex put his over the top and we all four held Pop's hands and cried together. All this took place in a matter of minutes.

And then we walked away.

We walked away.

Away.

Sobbing.

Sobbing, we walked away from the man who taught us the value of hard work. The man who taught us how much more refreshing fun can be after earning it. The man who was always there if you needed him, but never seemed to need anything in return. The man who loved us like a father should have. The man who taught us that with a little wire and some pliers, you can fix just about anything, even a tear in your pants.

As we sat back down and cried together, a man who didn't know Pop tried to comfort us with prayer. He couldn't know that we weren't crying for Pop. We cried for ourselves, for our children and the world who will all miss out on anymore wisdom from one of the most eccentric, wise, entertaining and amazing men who ever walked barefoot on earth.










5 comments:

Brenda and Jay said...

We are all deeply sorry for your loss. And yes we do understand your beautiful words.

J. Cyr said...

so so sorry...
just happened to finally read up a bit on your blog...
again, so sorry...
--J. and S. in Tucson

Astorga's said...

I would love to see a picture of pop sometime. He sounds like an amazing man! Can't wait to meet him some day.

Can Our Family? said...

Thanks for all your comments and calls, I really appreciate them. I'm so glad that I was able to go and grieve with others that knew him. I look forward to introducing him to you.

Dixie Cheek said...

Thank you, Tiffany, although you made me cry all over again. His love of children, teaching, and work, and especially all three together, left quite a mark in the world.