Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's In A Name?

pregnancy calendar

pregnancy

Our baby will weigh up to 16.5 ounces by the end of this week and measure about 11 inches long. That's about 1 foot and 1 pound of baby! And let me tell you, he's an active little bugger. When I'm sitting or lying down, you can actually see my belly moving in the shape of punches and kicks and head-butts. Today, I lifted my shirt up whilst sitting upon the couch to show my mom and Tristan how the baby was moving. Either my mom or I ( I can't recall) said something about the baby kicking and Tristan said with a thoughtful look on his face, "No, I think the baby is dancing in there."

The biggest dilemma Eric and I have been having with choosing a name for our new little one is that we agree TOO much. It's hard to narrow it down when you both like the same 10 names. It was easy when I said, "I don't like Percival" and Eric said, "I don't like Owen". As of right now, we're planning to name him Dorian. However, we have about 15 middle names that we like with it and will have to take the next 4 months to narrow it down.

So, what's in a name? A rose by any other name smells as sweet. But for some reason when you tell people what you're considering for a name for an unborn child, they usually have some reaction like: Where did you come up with that? Really, or are you kidding? Oh, I rather like the name Michael better. Etc. etc. etc. However, when you actually have the cute little bubble-blower in your arms and some one asks you, "What's your baby's name?" And you say, "Dumbledorf Eisenhower the Third" or whatever, they usually just respond with, "Awww, he's so cute!" or "Could I hold him?" I thought it was the difference between seeing the cute baby and not seeing him. Now that I'm writing about it though, maybe it's just that once it's set in stone, people don't feel as comfortable giving their opinions as they do when it seems like there's still a chance to sway you from the unthinkable (in their minds). I think most people don't mind their own names though, even if it's not their favorite name or what they would've named themselves. Most people don't rename themselves. So hopefully, our little Dorian will love his name as much as Tristan loves his.

2 comments:

Astorga's said...

It's very unique and I agree I like it better than Owen too!

Can Our Family? said...

Thanks!